This year has been filled with tragedies at various EDM venues and festivals, and now we have yet another reminder to be safe when out and about enjoying our favorite artists.
A 19-year-old woman died after attending a show at Rebel Nightclub in Toronto, and the suspected cause is an MDMA overdose. However, Toronto police are also wondering if a drug called fentanyl, which has led to a public health crisis in Canada, could have been part of the issue.
City Counselor Paula Fletcher is concerned that there needs to be better medical measures in place for events like this.
“When you have a big star playing and you know it’s a younger crowd that likes a certain type of drug, there needs to be a very strong medical plan for what can and most likely will be overdoses,” she said.
Ink Entertainment, owner of Rebel Nightclub, issued a statement in response:
We extend our sincerest condolences to the family and friends of the patron who passed away, and will keep them in our prayers during this difficult time.
REBEL has a zero tolerance drug policy, and also subjects every patron entering the venue to a full search. Anyone who is caught with an illegal substance is immediately denied entry. We employ an EMS company on-site for every music concert and club night.
The event on Friday December 16th was an all-ages concert, with a separated licensed area for 19+ guests.
Public safety and security is our top priority at INK Entertainment and we will continue to ensure that it remains that way with the highest standard of support.
We are fully cooperating with the police on the investigation. Due to the fact that this is an ongoing investigation, we cannot comment further on this matter.
It will be interesting to see how this evolves, considering it seems like many places are looking for solutions on how to make EDM shows safer.
–EDM In Stereo Staff